Interesting Facts about Rio de Janeiro
- Rio de Janeiro’s is nicknamed Cidade Maravilhosa (The Marvelous City).
- Rio de Janeiro means River of January in Portuguese.
- Rio de Janeiro is Brazil’s second largest city. Sao Paulo is the first.
- Rio de Janeiro was the capital of Brazil for almost two centuries from 1763 to 1960 when it was moved to Brasilia.
- With roots in Africa, Brazil’s famous Samba music started in the neighborhoods of Rio de Janeiro.
- Rio is Brazil’s biggest tourist destination
- The average minimum temperature in Rio is 68 °F (20°C) and the average maximum temperature is 82 °F (28 °C).
- Rio will be hosting the 2016 Olympic Games and the last match of the 2014 World-Cup.
- Football is the most popular Sport in Rio de Janeiro. Rio de Janeiro is home to 5 traditional Brazilian football clubs: América Football Club, Botafogo, Fluminense, Vasco da Gama and Flamengo.