Interesting Facts about Phuket
- Phuket is Thailand’s largest island situated off the west coast in the Andaman Sea. Two bridges connect the island of Phuket to mainland Thailand.
- Phuket is one of the 76 provinces that make up the country of Thailand. With 69.5 million people, Thailand is the world’s 20th most populous country. Tourism has helped convert Phuket island into Thailand’s wealthiest province.
- Phuket is hot and humid throughout the year with the highest temperatures between March and early May. During the summer monsoon season of May to October, mornings are often sunny and clear with afternoon and evening rain. November to February is the “cool” season and the most popular time for tourist visits.
- Patong Beach on the central west coast is Phuket’s most popular tourist area with inexpensive shopping and an intense nightlife scene. In Thai, Patong means “the forest filled with banana leaves.”
- Snorkelers and scuba divers flock to the coral of Similan and Phi Phi Islands south of Phuket.