Interesting Facts about Mauritius
- The capital of Mauritius is Port Louis. Nearly 40% of the island’s population resides in the capital city that was established by the French in 1736.
- Mauritius is a leaf-shaped island created by underwater volcanic eruptions.
- Mauritius gained its independence on 12 March 1968. The official name of the country is the “Republic of Mauritius.”
- The hottest part of Mauritius is considered to be the west coast where the temperature varies from 30 - 34?C. The climate is tropical with hot wet humid summers from November to May.
- The main languages spoken in this country are Creole, Bhojpuri, French and English