Interesting Facts about Madagascar
- Madagascar is an island off the coast of Africa. Scientists think it broke off from the African continent about 160 million years ago.
- The world's fourth largest island, Madagascar is about the size of Texas.
- Currency: Malagasy Ariary
- Languages: Malagasy and French
- Because of its isolation most of its mammals, half its birds, and most of its plants exist nowhere else on earth.
- The true Malagasy serves his meal, as is done in most parts of Africa, on a mat on the floor. Everything is put down at the same time--but in the cities individual plates are used and the utensil is a large spoon (no knives or forks are used).